Sunday, July 10, 2011

eye of truth


I've been thinking about the Eye of Providence lately--I have this old drawing from a high school sketchbook and I'm thinking about how to incorporate some of this imagery into some new designs


Anyway this week I watched Desperately Seeking Susan for the first time since I was probably 12. I had forgotten that amazing jacket with a pyramid and the eye embroidered on the back (according to the interweb, it was made by costume/prod designer Santo Loquasto):


These images are all from an fantastic book I have called The Encyclopedia of Signs and Symbols:

The Eye of Truth shines from the breast of the Goddess Reason (French Revolution engraving).

The eye represents both the Sun and God in this Algonquin carving.


And here's one I need to research, attributed to The Book of A Thousand Hands, which I believe is a Korean Buddhist text (?):

I like the idea that we can carry the truth in our hands. Just my interpretation....

No comments:

Post a Comment